Friday, January 20, 2012

What a guy!

I miss Guy Fawkes night! We used to stuff an old pair of clothes with dry grass, build a bonfire and burn that sucker to the ground.
And all the different kinds of crackers you could buy! I remember going with dad to a Chinese firecracker store and marvelling at all the different packets and potions. Sparklers were my favourite.
One year I threw a jumping jack off the verandah and it landed in the brim of Uncle Johnny's hat below. Burned a hole, if I remember rightly.
We would sneak out early in the morning and pick up all the dead firecrackers from the neighbours' lawns (I think we got into trouble for that too).
Bring back Guy Fawkes night, I say. If people are stupid enough to blow themselves up with homemade fireworks, then they should be banned from participating. Leave the fun to us pagans who know one end of a double bunger from the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment