Friday, July 22, 2011

Our share of history


Collecting old stocks and bonds is a new and growing hobby, so when I came across some old share certificates my wife had been given by her late father, I thought it would be fun to find out more about them. I contacted a couple of collectors sites and found out some interesting tidbits. Apparently those certificates which have eagles on them (which is a lot of them) are less collectible. It seems the pictures on the top are what interest collectors (in the certificate pictured, the family are enjoying a ride in their car). I also found out our certificates are not really old enough to be valuable, with most collectors looking for pre 1900. All the same, we like them and will keep them for their sentimental value, as they are like little windows into another time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment