Thursday, July 21, 2011

Stuck in the middle with you




Living statues have always fascinated me. They’ve been around for a very long time as a form of entertainment and were a regular feature at medieval fairs.

But I couldn’t imagine doing it myself. To cover your whole body in makeup and then stand absolutely motionless for hours at a time is not my idea of fun. All that makeup can't be good for you either. I read somewhere about a person dying because the silver paint they had coated themselves in had cut off the oxygen absorbed through the skin.

I also couldn't imagine standing docilely by while little kids kicked and prodded you, knowing full well you couldn't do anything about it.

And if you're busking, what do you do if someone short changes you or takes off with your day's takings?

Even worse, what if you develop an itch you can’t scratch or have a sudden need to pee, or a passing blowfly decides to crawl up your nose?

No, I don’t envy living statues, but I do like them because they let me take their photo. They don’t seem to mind at all … or if they do, they’ve never said anything

No comments:

Post a Comment